GET ON BOARD A WALKING SCHOOL BUS TO VAN HISE ELEMENTARY!
A walking school bus is a group of children walking to school with one or more adults (the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend one adult for every six elementary school-age children). It’s like a carpool, but without a car, and with lots of added benefits! Here are some of them:
- kids get fresh air in the morning and arrive at school alert and ready to learn
- kids get good exercise before and after school
- kids socialize with neighborhood friends
- kids learn pedestrian safety rules
- parents cut down on car rides
- air pollution is reduced
- traffic congestion around school is eased
- would like your child to walk safely to and from school
- cannot walk with your child every day, but can do it every now and then
- appreciate a sense of helping community
- like all the benefits listed above
…then the Walking School Bus might be the program for your family!
For more information about the VHE WSB see our Principles and Organization Sheet.
Anyone who wants to be part of the WSB group in the new academic year (whether a new family or one that has been walking with a route for a while) should complete the contact information form at: http://tinyurl.com/VanHiseWSB.
For information about other opportunities to commute to Van Hise, check out the Walk ‘n Roll Program.
Questions? Contact Wendy Crabb at firstname.lastname@example.org.