Be Active and Healthy at Van Hise with the Walk ‘n Roll Program!
Van Hise Elementary encourages every student to walk, bike, and scoot to and from school with the new Walk ‘n Roll Program. Leave the cars behind, get to school on your feet, and earn fun rewards while doing it! How can your family be part of it? Choose one (or more!) of the 4 options that will be offered this coming year:
- Individual Walking and Wheeling – Every child is encouraged to walk, bike or scoot to and from school – go with an adult, a friend, or alone (when old and responsible enough).
- Bike Trains – Supervised by at least one VHE volunteer parent, the bike trains will welcome any child who wants to ride to school (parents will need to have a plan for their child after school, as there will not be an afternoon bike train). Parents welcome to join in! Two routes will be biking to school in the mornings once per week in September and October. The bike trains will be cancelled in case of rain or severe weather. Please contact your specific route leader for any questions, to sign up your child for the bike train, or to help lead the group.
Interested in starting a different route for a new bike train? We can help if you contact Peter Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org or Wendy Crabb at email@example.com.
a. Odana Route: departure at 8:00am at the corner of Sherwood and Wedgewood, biking to the Segoe entrance of school. Meets every Friday in September and October (9/4, 9/11, 9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9, 10/16, 10/23, 10/30).
* This route’s leader is Jason Butler at firstname.lastname@example.org
b. Marathon Route: departure at Marathon and S.Hill at 8:10am, biking down South Hill to Segoe, to the Van Hise driveway. Meets every Wednesday in September and October (9/2, 9/9, 9/16, 9/23, 9/30, 10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 10/28).
* This route’s leader is Peter Gray at email@example.com
Each child who joins a bike train will need: a bike, a bike helmet, and a bike lock per MMSD Policy. It is also important that the child be an independent and confident bike rider. Find the MMSD Student Bicycle Policy at https://tnlweb.madison.k12.wi.us/node/893
- Morning Walks with Mrs. Koval – Walk to school with Van Hise PE teacher, Mrs. Koval, every Thursday in September and October (9/3, 9/10, 9/17, 9/24, 10/1, 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29). Departure time is 7:45am behind HyVee (close to corner of Segoe and Odana). Anyone is welcome to join the group along the way to school on Segoe.
- Walking School Bus – Join one of the current Walking School Bus routes or create your own with one or more neighbors. There are currently three active WSB routes in the neighborhood. Please contact Wendy Crabb at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions and for more information go to http://vanhisepto.org/what-we-do/walking-school-bus.
Do you have questions? Would you like to help?
Contact Wendy Crabb at email@example.com