Be Active and Healthy at Van Hise this year with the Walk 'n Roll Program!
Let's all get outside to commute to school!
Van Hise Elementary encourages every student to walk, bike, and scoot to and from school with the Walk 'n Roll Program. Leave the cars behind, get to school on your feet, and earn fun rewards while doing it! How can your family be part of this program? Choose one (or more!) of the 4 options that are offered:
1. Individual Walking and Wheeling - Every child is encouraged to walk, bike or scoot to and from school - go with an adult, a friend, or alone (when old and responsible enough).
2. Bike Trains - Supervised by at least 3 VHE volunteer parents, the bike trains will welcome any child who wants to ride to school (parents will need to have a plan for their child after school, as there will not be an afternoon bike train). Parents welcome to join in!
1 Route so far will be biking to school in the mornings once per week. The bike train will be cancelled in case of rain or severe weather. Please contact your specific route leader for any questions, to sign up your child for the bike train, or to help lead the group.
Interested in starting a different route for a new bike train? We can help if you contact Peter Gray or Daniela Sponseller.
The Odana Route gathers at 7:45 with departure at 8:00 am at the corner of Sherwood and Wedgewood, biking to the Segoe entrance of school. Meets every Friday.
* This route's leader is David Blough.
Each child who joins a bike train will need: a bike, a bike helmet, and a bike lock per MMSD Policy. It is also important that the child be an independent and confident bike rider. Find the MMSD Student Bicycle Policy here.
3. Morning Walks with Mrs. Koval - Walk to school with Van Hise PE teacher, Mrs. Koval, TO BE SCHEDULED. Departure time is 7:45 am behind HyVee (close to corner of Segoe and Odana) - anyone is welcome to join the group along the way to school on Segoe.
4. Walking School Bus - Join one of the current Walking School Bus routes or create your own with one or more neighbors. There are currently 3 active WSB routes in the neighborhood. Please contact Daniela Sponseller for any questions and for more information go here.